Who We Are
Polo For A Purpose is a charity event benefitting The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) — www.lls.org. The event is now in its’ 5th year. It’s an event to aid LLS in its mission to find cures for people who have leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease and myeloma. The goal of LLS is not only to help cure these patients, but also to improve the quality of life for them and their families. Through donations, events and volunteering, a lot of people have been either cured or very well taken care of by this wonderful organization. We commend them and their efforts.
LLS is the largest voluntary cancer research agency specifically focused on finding cures and better treatments for blood cancer patients. With the scope and scale to fund many projects at the same time, LLS supports hundreds of cancer scientists around the world.
Research Depends On You
Unlike commercial enterprises that consider blood cancers as “orphan diseases” with small markets and limited profit potential, LLS funds research based on medical need without regard to commercial return or market size. Every dollar invested comes from charitable support from concerned donors.
Extend Your Reach
LLS funds hundreds of promising researchers at leading cancer centers and universities worldwide. And since LLS has no campus or laboratories to maintain, your investment funds more research and less overhead than a donation made elsewhere.
Why Invest Now?
Many scientists, clinicians and clinical trial participants have developed and improved current standards of care over time. It takes about eight years to develop a successful new drug. The time to invest in new therapies is now, so that someday can be today!
What Will My Donation Do?
- Encourage scientists to pursue blood cancer research. Grants to young scientists help grow research talent even as federal research funding becomes increasingly limited.
- Develop “targeted therapies” that kill cancer cells selectively. By hitting specific molecular targets, these treatments don’t harm patients’ healthy cells, resulting in fewer dangerous side effects.
- Test immunotherapies. Immunotherapies strengthen a patient’s own immune system so it can better fight infections and attack cancer cells, reducing the need for damaging chemotherapy.
- Improve the safety of today’s cures. LLS funds research to predict, manage and prevent complications in patients most at risk for long-term and late effects of treatment.
- Help patients and their families make informed decisions. LLS supplies information and counseling to help guide patients through their cancer journey and access current treatment and clinical trial options.
- Offer community services. Among the wide array of programs LLS provides are those that link newly diagnosed patients with trained volunteers and that help young cancer patients return to school after an absence resulting from treatment.
- Encourage our state and federal legislators to support blood cancer issues. With your help, LLS brings to the attention of lawmakers the urgent need for increased government funding and support of research and patient access to affordable treatment and quality care.
How To Make A Difference!
You can make a difference in so many ways. Choose an option that works best for you:
- Leave a bequest
- Participate in a fundraising event
- Become an LLS advocate
- Shop the LLS eStore
LLS offices in the U.S. operate under a single 501(c)(3) tax designation and our federal tax identification number is 13-5644916.